Holiday Cheer

Krista Pawlicki

DP’s Gingerbread themed room

MaKenna Farrington, Arts and Entertainment Writer

For more than 15 years Apple Valley High School has had a festive tradition that takes place in December.

As the spirit of the holidays roll around, the teachers and students come together to compete for the best holiday themed classroom including winter, red and green, gingerbread house, and there’s no place like home.

Although, over the years, the competition has received less participation from students and staff. This year, only eight classrooms competed in the holiday themed contest. There has been a huge decrease in the amount of classrooms participating.

Many students have no idea what I was talking about when I brought it up. The common response among students when asked about their take on the holiday room contest:   “What do you mean holiday themed contest?  What even is that?”

“As long as we have teachers willing to encourage students and we have students who have enthusiasm, the event should continue for a long time to come!” said Mr. Laurent, who, as advisor of Student Council, helps oversee the competition.

Although there were only eight rooms competing two of the rooms went above and beyond expectations. Tieing for first place was Binns & Pawlicki’s DP Room and Desens and Scalise’s Band Room.

Binns & Pawlicki’s DP Room was decorated to look like a Gingerbread house from the outside with many fun colors with a candy cane heart on the door and many mints on the walls. The many gum drops added the fun colors on the whole piece, making it truly look like and feel like the spirit of the holidays.

The band's warm and welcoming themed  room
MaKenna Farrington
The band’s warm and welcoming themed room

Desens and Scalise’s Band Room was decorated with wrapping paper wall paper, a fireplace and stockings, lights and snowflake cutouts. It gave a warm inviting feel, “As soon as you walked into the room, you felt the winter spirit,” said Mr Laurent.

These rooms did a great job of capturing the holiday spirit. However, all rooms did a great job with not only decorations but also keeping this tradition at Apple Valley High School going.