Eagle Boys’ Hockey Drops Weekend Tilt

The Eagles lose to Eastview for the second time this season

Kyle Steinberg

Apple Valley senior Jacob Savard carries the puck into the offensive zone against Eastview

Kyle Steinberg, Sports Editor

The Apple Valley boys’ hockey team fell to Eastview on Saturday by a score of 4-1.

Eastview bolted ahead early, as Lightning junior Tyler Kukowski scored just 2:53 into the contest.

However, the Eagles managed to bounce back just under a minute later, as sophomore Corey Zuelow slotted the puck home on a breakaway for his first varsity goal.

“It’s exciting for a sophomore when he gets his first goal,” said Apple Valley head coach Chris Sikich. “It was big to respond right away.”

An Eastview boarding penalty 4:32 into the second period gave Apple Valley a five minute power play, but the Eagles couldn’t capitalize.

“The power play needs to be better,” said Sikich. “When it’s not working, guys start trying to do a little bit more than they need to.”

The Lightning lit the lamp not long after, taking a 2-1 lead into the second intermission. Eastview added two goals in the third period, ensuring a regular season sweep of the rival Eagles.

There is a potential for one more meeting between the teams, however, as both squads play in Section 3AA.

For a different result, consistency is key for the Eagles.

“We just have to play more consistent three-period games, and just be hard on the puck,” said Apple Valley senior forward Josh Daggett

The loss drops Apple Valley to 6-9-1 on the season. Their next game is against Shakopee on Thursday, January 21, at Apple Valley High School.