GSA: Gender and Sexuality Alliance

Rachel Stevens, Arts and Entertainment Writer

According to the LGBT Foundation’s Exceeding Expectations program, 95% of students hear the word ‘gay’ being used as an insult at school.  That means school can be a harmful environment for people who are different. This is why GSA, or Gender Sexuality Alliance, can be very beneficial. In the past year, a GSA club was formed at Apple Valley High School.

GSA was known as “Gay Straight Alliance” until recently, when more clubs changed to “Gender Sexuality Alliance” to be more inclusive of people of sexualities other than gay and straight, such as bisexual and transgender.

“GSA is basically a giant support system,” said sophomore Morgyn Nunnelly. Every other Thursday the group meets in Room 131 to discuss a variety of topics. Sophomore Kae Baird said, “We have conversations about the LGBT community and the gender sexuality spectrum.”

“We recently went on a field trip to the Q-Quest Youth Fest,” said Mrs. Gustafson, the faculty sponsor of the group. Q-Quest is a daylong event in Minneapolis for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and allied youth to attend workshops, eat food, and see art with hundreds of other LGBTQA youth in the area.

“GSA is important because it’s a group that consists of allies and other LGBT members,” said freshman Jake Frid.

GSA clubs are important in schools because they create a more inclusive environment for LGBT students. GSA at Apple Valley gives support to students and spreads awareness of issues that people don’t talk about a lot. Although the amount of discrimination going on in schools has gotten a lot better since the past, it unfortunately still exists. According to the LGBT Foundation’s mental and physical health studies, LGBT people are two to three times more likely than heterosexual people to suffer from depression. A club that creates an environment in which students are able to freely discuss topics they don’t always feel comfortable talking about is a very positive influence to students at the school.

Junior Cami Johnson said, “We always have fun at GSA and everyone can feel accepted. I would definitely recommend this club for someone looking for a nonjudgmental place where they can just be themselves.”