What’s New in the Media Center

For many students, the Apple Valley High School Media Center is a place for occasionally checking out a book, occasionally using the computers, and occasionally printing off an assignment before it is due next hour. However, due to a few recent additions, the Media Center has transformed into so much more.

AVHS Media Center expert Mr. Drew McCluskey says we are moving towards a more “mobile and flexible model” while promoting a much more collaborative work environment.

Members of the English department collaborating over the standing tables.
Drew McCluskey

Just last week, a bar was installed! A standing bar, that is. The bar is constructed of three mobile standing tables, with a power strip to be installed within the next week. The standing bar allows for students and staff to plug in their devices and work–or collaborate–over projects or presentations by moving the tables together. The English department has already made quick use of the standing tables, working together on a collective project.

Bridget Schulte of the Washington Post states that the average office worker spends about ten hours sitting per day. However, research has found that sitting for prolonged periods of time has been associated with greater risks of heart disease, diabetes, obesity, cancer, weak muscles and joints, and even depression. Experts are now saying we should aim to stand for at least two hours a day. In addition to the standing bars, AVHS also installed a few standing desks to counteract the negative effects of sitting and to promote a healthier lifestyle among students and faculty.

These adjustable desks are available for use in the Media Center, Lab 1, and Lab 116.  Not only will these desks be beneficial to the health of the user, but standing gives teachers a better view of the lab and what his or her students are up to. McCluskey also highlighted that teachers are in a much better position to communicate eye-to-eye with students when they approach. (It is important to point out that because the desks are adjustable, they may be used for sitting whenever desired.)

Ms. Opsahl has a clear view of her students in the computer lab while using the standing desk.
Drew McCluskey
Ms. Opsahl has a clear mind and a clear view of her students in the computer lab while using the standing desk.

A third addition to the Media Center is the new tables in the Pit, making it a more versatile area, McCluskey says. The Pit has become one of the popular spaces for teachers to bring their classes. Typically used in partnership with the movable tables in the Pit are the three new collaborative mobile media carts. Each cart holds a forty-inch HD television, a Mac mini computer, and HDMI connectors and switchers. These features give users the option of connecting wirelessly with the Mac mini, or connecting directly with the HDMI cables with which they can also switch between devices. They can be checked out and used in virtually any location within AVHS , working most ideally for presentations, group work, or viewing the latest Talon article (hint, hint).

Many staff members have already put the media carts to work, including Mr. Martin’s English classes, who used them to give presentations with Chromebooks.

Students in Mr. Martin's English classes used the media carts to give presentations in the library Pit.
Drew McCluskey
Students in Mr. Martin’s English classes used the media carts to give presentations in the library Pit.

Last but not least are the amp and four new speakers in the Media Center that were installed last week. There are plans to play music before and after school and during passing time. McCluskey says AVHS is “trying to create a relaxing, enjoyable, learning-conducive environment,” but, not to worry because, “we will not be playing Lil Wayne or Wocka Flocka Flame.” Artists like Mozart, Miles Davis, and Keith Jarret will often be featured in the Media Center. McCluskey added that he has received lots of positive feedback from staff regarding this addition. (Rumor has it they are taking requests, too!)

Whether it be working with fellow students on a project or increasing your blood flow one standing desk at a time, these new additions to the Media Center are sure to make an impact on the education, health, and overall enjoyment of the students and staff at AVHS.

Students, say hello to your new, hip, tech-savvy BFF: the Media Center.