The Man Behind The Scenes: Joshua Campbell

He can sing, dance, act, direct, and more — the term ‘triple threat’ doesn’t even begin to do Josh Campbell justice.

Though he’s only been directing at Apple Valley for two years, Campbell has quickly won over the theater crowd. From his debut in charge of The Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 to Eurydice’s star performance in the state one act competition, he has proven he puts his all into everything he does.

The students who work with him unanimously agree that the experience is great. They appreciate the level of professionalism he brings to the program. “He doesn’t take these shows as if they’re ‘Oh, it’s another high school’–he takes them in a professional level,” said senior Felipe Escudero, who has worked with Campbell in many shows, including his role as the father in Eurydice.  “He actually takes his time to work things out beforehand – I know he loves preparing, so he puts a lot of time into working things out beforehand.”

Josh working with the cast of The Time of Your Life

Campbell’s expertise as a director is more than apparent. The students who work with him have only the best to say: “As a director, he somehow just knows how to make you comfortable with him, and that allows you to become vulnerable in the sense where you can get to those more real emotions,” said Felipe. “He’s done for me what no director has been able to do yet – actually feel the emotions of what’s supposed to be happening.” Working with Josh, he was able to take on the mindset of a father who had lost a child — something Felipe had no experience with in life.

Though Campbell was interested in the arts as a high school student, he didn’t decide on a career in theater until he was into college.  He participated in speech at Mounds View High School, advancing to state his senior year. This is where his role as a performer began, along with his passion for helping others succeed in the arts.

“It’s terrifying, because he’s amazingly talented, but at the same time it’s awesome,” said Teja Lawrence, who recently worked with Josh as Roz Keith in the fall musical, 9 to 5. “He’s one of the best directors I’ve ever had the opportunity to work with. I feel very privileged to have had the chance to work with him.”

When Campbell began college in Chicago, his studies were varied. He took a class on Hinduism, studied a year in Ghana, and lived out countless other adventures. But he wasn’t satisfied until he began working in the arts full time. “I realized I couldn’t imagine my life without theater,” he said. “So I knew I wanted to do it. I wanted to learn about the world in general, but I was jealous of my friends who were taking dance classes everyday, voice lessons everyday, acting – you know in a conservatory. Cause that’s awesome.”

Campbell started off in small shows, balancing rehearsals with jobs in coffee shops and restaurants. He started in non-union roles, moved to performances that paid $20 per show (and was elated about it), and eventually worked his way up to giant performances at revered theaters like The Guthrie.  Campbell also acted in the national tour of Legally Blonde. “Traveling all over the country with the show was a great way to see the U.S.”

His first large show was the Las Vegas production of Mamma Mia. “From Chicago, Mamma Mia came to audition and I got cast. So I flew out there and lived there for a year. That was my first big show – my first union show. From there I moved to New York and lived there for six years. I did lots of national tours, regional theater, just stuff all over, being a working actor. Then four years ago I decided I wanted to start focusing on directing, and that’s when I moved back to Minnesota.”

Josh with parts of the cast & crew of Eurydice

As a freelance worker, Campbell usually has four or five projects going on at any time. One of them is his job at Apple Valley High School’s theater. “I love working with students.  I love the raw talent and energy that students provide.  I work freelance all over the city and I’m very happy that this is one of my jobs.”

Recently he has decided to offer free acting classes to students, in hopes to nurture the raw talent he sees on stage and in auditions. The smaller setting will allow participants to receive individual notes and feedback. “Acting is a continual process,” he said. “You need to keep working on it to learn and grow.”

It’s easy to keep up with Campbell’s projects, whether just by checking out his shows at AVHS, or finding where else he’ll be acting or directing on his website. The AVHS theater is lucky to have such an experienced and committed director. Actors, tech crew, and audiences alike all look forward to his continued work.