Boys Basketball Soars over Henry Sibley

Nate Williams

Tre Jones looks to pass to Miles Hendrickson.

Bring on the playoffs.

After Thursday night’s 106-77 win, the Apple Valley boys basketball seniors finished their home varsity career without a single loss at Apple Valley High School to a Minnesota team.

Apple Valley’s Brock Bertram won the opening tip and then hit two free throws 18 seconds later to open up the game. Both teams put on a full court press and Apple Valley capitalized on open players down court due to back court pressure, speeding up the pace and catching fast breaks left and right.

“I think [the fast pace] was more dictated by them pressing us,” Apple Valley head coach Zach Goring said. “If we get quality shots in transition, we’re fine with that. I think there were just so many of those opportunities tonight.”

Apple Valley seemed to control the tempo of the game – keeping it fast on offense – and leapt to a 23 – 8 lead just over seven minutes in. Tre Jones showcased his court vision with two nearly full-court passes to Aaron Ertz and Gary Trent, Jr. in transition, both resulting in baskets.

Jordan Reddick looks for a pass.
Nate Williams
Jordan Reddick looks for a pass.

Henry Sibley started to pull the score closer before halftime, but was held off by Trent Jr., emphatically throwing down two dunks within a minute of each other. The half ended with Apple Valley leading 48 – 30 over Henry Sibley.

Early in the second half, Sibley held the score close and eventually came within 15 points. After an Apple Valley timeout, however, the Eagles started to pull away.

“We just needed to refocus a little bit … they were making a lot of threes,” Coach Goring said. “Isaiah Robinson [of Henry Sibley] is a really good player and he was getting loose quite a bit.”

Numerous players were in double digits in scoring, Trent had 43 points while Aaron Ertz, Jordan Reddick, and Tre Jones had 11 each. Jones also had 11 assists, completing a double-double.

“We had to turn it up a notch, it’s playoff time,” Gary Trent Jr. said. “We came out with a nice victory and we’re feeling good about ourselves going into the next game.”

Gary Trent Jr. shoots a free throw after Henry Sibley's head coach received a technical foul.
Nate Williams
Gary Trent Jr. shoots a free throw after Henry Sibley’s head coach received a technical foul.

With the win on Wednesday, the seniors finished their career at Apple Valley High School with only one home loss. That loss came to Whitney Young High School when they traveled from Chicago to play against the Eagles on ESPN.

Cameron Kirksey sat out for precautionary reasons, but he should be back on Saturday as the Eagles take on Rosemount at 1:00 p.m. at Farmington High School in the section-semis.