How to College

College.

For some, that word inspires excitement, a sense of freedom, and independence. College is the first time most adolescents are living on their own and making the majority of decisions for themselves: it can seem like a whole new world. It’s new friends! It’s watching a whole season of Breaking Bad in one sitting! It’s writing a paper at 2am! It’s college! It can be thrilling to think what life after graduation will look like.

But for many students, thoughts of college instill stress, anxiety, and confusion.

According to the article “School Stress Takes A Toll On Health” from NPR, 40 percent of high schoolers experience significant school related stress. Apple Valley junior, Ethan Elumba, can attest to this. On top of many of rigorous classes and intense extracurricular activities like swimming and theatre, Ethan has begun the process of deciding where to go to college. For him, college adds an immense amount of pressure. “It’s not really college itself, but the amount of emphasis and expectation our education system puts on higher education.”  The pressure is high and keeps increasing.

Ethan is not the only AVHS student to have concerns about college. From, the freshmen to the seniors, everyone has questions. How do you prepare for college? How do you choose the right college for you? How do you pick a major? How do you college?!

Apple Valley High School alumni are here to help.

Four former Eagles weighed in on preparing for college, choosing a school, and how to manage the pressure of student life.

How do I balance my schedule?

Most students students are worried now about what they should do to prepare for college. Students who participate in academics and extracurricular activities agree- it can be overwhelming. Ellie Kuchera, junior, comments on the pressure she encounters on a daily basis: “There’s a lot of pressure from teachers and parents to do well in school. It’s hard to focus on college when I’m so busy right now.”

Why do students take on so much? Ethan Elumba reasons that “without extracurriculars, and without a good GPA, they (colleges) may not see you as a good student at their school.” This mind set is not uncommon among students- many are overwhelmed by the amount of work on their plate.

Ashley Suter

So what can students do now to manage their busy schedules? University of Minnesota student, Ashley Suter, was avidly involved in many activities at AVHS, including speech team, theatre, choir, and tennis. She reflects on her busy high school schedule saying, “Honestly, it was a lot of dedication and lack of sleep that got me through the amount of extracurriculars I did. Time management is key to balancing and staying successful both in the classroom and in all of your activities.”

What classes should I take now?

Freshman Ethan Chlan wonders if the classes he’s taking now will prepare him for college by the time he’s a senior: “Will I really know how to do the work?”

Most know that taking honor and AP level classes prepare students for college work.

Math teacher, Ms. Moynihan  agrees. She thinks that taking honors and AP classes will make you more confident in college courses. “You’ll be much more prepared going in.”

Gustavus Adolphus College student Kristi Manning says that AP classes were extremely beneficial in preparing her for college. She mentions AP Literature, AP Psychology, and AP European History as three classes that prepared her for the amount of reading necessary in any college course. “(These AP classes) helped me master that skill.”

What college should I go to?

CollegeNot only are AVHS students balancing their academics and activities, they also worry about what college to go to. It’s a big decision- there’s 2,618 four year universities in the United States. What school is right for you? Is a big school or small school better? Ellie Kuchera says “It’s hard to figure out exactly what I’m looking for in a school without visiting a bunch.” Senior Stephanie Kahle speaks for a large population of students when she says “My biggest worry is making sure that the school I go to is the right fit for me.”

Many students are searching for their perfect school, but Grace Hoffa has some insight. “There is never going to be one ‘perfect school’ for you, and anyone who tells you that there is a perfect school is a liar.”

Grace advises to be honest about what you want in a school. “If you’re honest with yourself you’ll end up in a place that makes you happy.”

How do I choose a major?

Since napping is not an accredited major, numerous students struggle to pick what they want to do. Uzo Ngwu is a freshman at AVHS who has already found her passion in theatre and speech. She struggles to see how she can combine what she loves with making enough money to support herself. “I know what I like to do, but I’m not sure how to pick a major that’s right for me.”

University of Minnesota student Tessa Dahlgren faced a similar problem while at Apple Valley. Like Uzo, she was actively involved in theatre and speech. At the University of Minnesota, Tessa is able to combine her love of acting and strong academic background through with a double major in theatre and psychology. She shares some golden advice: “Here’s the secret. You don’t need to have your future nailed down at age 18.”

Her advice for all students worrying about their major is simple: do what you love.

Tessa values balance in her major and career choice -“I need money to order Jimmy Johns. However, I also want to wake up everyday excited to go to work. I believe both are possible.”

Most students worry about the future. They’re stressed out. They’re confused. They’re fearful. But they are not alone. It’s best to know that despite all the concerns, these AVHS graduates figured it out.  You will too.