Survival 101: AVHS

(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

High school can be terrifying to many young students. Nightmares about embarrassment, bullying horror stories, and rumors about the teachers have made almost every incoming freshman wonder what their next four years will hold.

That was the case for AVHS freshmen Tia Ahmed–her first impression of the school was that it was “very big and scary.  It was a lot to handle at first, but by the end of the year it’s not that bad.”

Transitioning from middle school to high school is a big change; for Tia “the hardest thing about it was the difference in amount of work there is compared to middle school.” Coming from experience, her biggest tip for incoming freshman: “stay on top of your work and stay organized.”

The pressure of keeping your grades up is arguably the biggest concern that scares every student, no matter the grade, including incoming AVHS freshman Liza Rotty.

Stress levels in American high school students has rocketed in the past few years with an “average stress level of 5.8 out of 10” compared to 5.1 with adults, according to NBC News. Not only can stress harm your body, but also can push students to their breaking point: “1.2 million American students drop out of high school every year,” as reported by DoSomething.org.

To those students who are concerned about high school, don’t worry–there are hundreds of tips and tricks on how to make your experience enjoyable.

Amanda Gross, an 18-year-old senior and one of the original HOPE scholars, studies in her Spanish language at Eastern High School Monday Feb. 4, 2008 in Lansing, Mich. Gross will graduate at or near the top of her Lansing Eastern High School class this spring and plans to attend Michigan State University to study science. (AP Photo/Kevin W. Fowler)
(AP Photo/Kevin W. Fowler)

As for tips on maintaining your academics, junior Julia Sibell has got you covered on advice: “Do your homework as soon as possible and try not to procrastinate because it can add stress to your already hectic life; use the best studying method for your personal learning habits–I tend to use flash cards.”

On the social side of high school, senior Ivan Calixto believes that if you “find people who truly click with you, stay with them because having 4-6 close friends outweighs any 10-15 acquaintances you might see once in awhile” and although it may seem cliche, “find friends who like you for you.”

Wondering what to do with your time outside of school? Senior Trevor Taylor suggests that students “get involved as early as you can, don’t take freshman year off, you’re going to regret it.” Getting involved with as many extracurricular activities as you can benefits you both academically and socially.

Although high school is certainly a place to focus on school and expand your education, it is important to just sit back and de-stress sometimes, whether it’s spending time with your friends, playing video games or sports, or even just simply sleeping your stresses away.