A Love Letter To Theater

What could be said to convince you to sacrifice twenty hours of your free time every week? How about more than that? Thirty? Forty?

It seems like a ridiculous idea – those precious hours of after school time are the only thing keeping some of us sane. Yet, many students give up that time and enjoy doing so. It’s vital for students involved in theater to give up that time – it’s how we’ve created such magnificent productions.

Apple Valley certainly isn’t lacking in activities and opportunities. But there’s one that I have grown close to throughout the years. The community that has sprouted from the theater program is intimate, exciting, and professional, all rolled into one. Those who put their time into it are rewarded with nothing short of a magical experience.

I remember clearly a moment during my sophomore year, a short stretch of seconds in which I was completely in awe. It was the end of the first act of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. “Go Go Joseph” had finished milliseconds before. My spotlight had been brought down, and as the lights dimmed I stood silently, waiting to take my first step back toward the booth.

Future upperclassmen of the theater
Julie Manning
Future upperclassmen of the theater

The audience burst into applause. It wasn’t a new sound for me, I’d already been working in the theater for a year. But the house was packed and my mood was high. To see so many joyful people sincerely enjoying the show brought on a rush of jubilation. I was above a sea of happy faces – and I was a piece of the performance that they were cheering for.

But it’s not just the roaring audience that makes theater worth it.

As the rule goes, theater kids are weird.  It’s true, in all the best ways. If you’re looking for the dwellings of the eccentric, theater would be the place to check. But thespians are more than a jumble of quirks – they’re wonderful people and a family of friends.

This network of people is one of the most varied in school, partially because many of the participants are in other activities as well. More than a few actors are also involved with the speech team, and the connections don’t stop there. There are students that are involved in debate, language clubs, and many other programs. Everyone brings something unique to the table – and this is especially helpful for the tech crew, who use practical knowledge and creativity everyday.

The theater is a wonderful exotic jungle growing out out of Apple Valley’s lobby. Each nook and cranny is unique, filled with whispers of adventure and the memories of thespians past. Over time, numerous traditions have popped up. Some are specific to actors or techies, while others encompass all thespians.

Seniors on their last 'Bagel Day'
Julie Manning
Seniors on their last ‘Bagel Day’

There is a paint room lined with murals (some of which I painted), storage areas adorned with random messages, and dressing rooms with hidden compartments. Places that bring us a quiet comfort with their familiarity, and the secret world they’ve allowed us to share in.

Take the catwalks – yes, many see them as mysterious and may have the urge to try to get into them. But beyond that, they’re seen as tools. Storage places. And while they are these things at their core, any techie can tell you how much more they are:  a senior’s final destination, to ascend to on their last show and leave their name in permanent marker. Just walking through the space is like a trip to Wonderland. Countless scribbles, messages, and names surround you.

It’s heartwarming to know that each of these names belonged to someone who cared about the theater just as much as you.

Leaving this second home is nothing short of bittersweet. I have spent four years in theater – seven, if you count drama club in middle school. The idea of being a techie has integrated itself into my mind; it’s become part of who I am. Though I can’t speak for others, I’m sure some of them feel the same way.

But we know that we spent our time here in the best way possible. We’ve spent endless hours working to make something truly wonderful – something we can then give to others. That’s what’s at the base of every thespian’s heart. It’s a superordinate goal that we all work towards. If we can create something that brings happiness and entertainment to the crowd, then we have succeeded.

Tyler Porter and the gang

There’s one thing that I can recommend to all the students who will be coming to AVHS next year, whether new or returning: If you have yet to find your place; if you’re creative or outgoing; if you’re shy but still want friends to hang out with; if you have a passion for creation; if you have a passion for performance; if you even have the slightest interest or you’re struck with momentary wanderlust…see what the theater has to offer you.