Music in the Megalopolis: Band Trip to NYC

David Scalise

On Liberty Island, the band performed next to the Statue of Liberty with the NYC skyline behind them.

82 people. 70 hours on a bus. 12 attractions. 8 states. 2 (scheduled) performances. 1 band trip.

Over MEA break, the AVHS marching band took a trip to New York City. Leaving Wednesday, October 19th, and returning on Monday, October 24th, the band had six days of new experiences that exposed them to life in the Big Apple.

The trip is a tradition in the AVHS band program. It happens every two years, giving every 10th-12th grader in marching band the opportunity to participate. Mr. Seppala, mathematics teacher and graduate of AVHS, went on the trip twice, to Orlando and San Francisco: “In high school, I had traveled a bunch in the Midwest, but to go on a caravan of buses cross-country with a large group of people was super fun. Most people rarely have an opportunity to have a major common experience like that with a large group [so] that’s why it stands out so much.”

All of the band trips start and end the same way: on a bus. These coach buses are more than transportation—they are temporary homes. This year, trip participants spent two nights and almost 70 hours in the crowded seats and long aisles. It may sound unpleasant, but students often cite their time on the bus as one of the highlights of the trip. Senior Anna Watson said, “[On the bus] we all get really close. You’re kind of forced to get to know everyone. It’s really fun when we do things like rap battles, Pillow Pet races, or just jamming out in the back of the bus together.”

The marching band in front of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.
Amy Orzolek
The marching band in front of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

On the way to NYC, the band stopped in Cleveland, Ohio, to visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. It features exhibits about members of the Hall of Fame, their memorabilia, and the evolution of the genre. Band director Mr. Scalise said, “It’s a collection of music artifacts that relate well to the popular culture that our students live in. It’s a unique museum; it attracts both people who just enjoy [music] and people who study it actively.”

In the big city, the band primarily explored lower Manhattan. Some of the most popular activities were visiting Chinatown and Little Italy, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, and seeing Wicked on Broadway.

One of the more memorable sites was the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. Located on the former World Trade Center grounds, it includes displays dedicated to the victims of 9/11 and informational exhibits. Two reflecting pools are set in the footprints of the former Twin Towers in memoriam. Sophomore Jarett Huard said, “[The 9/11 Memorial is] just a great way to honor those who perished during the […] tragedy.”

South Tower footprint waterfall and reflecting pool with the names of victims of 9/11 inscribed around the edges
Emilia Galchutt

One of the students’ favorite attractions was the Top of the Rock Observation Deck at the top of Rockefeller Center. Students practically flew up the 67 stories of the building to see NYC at night. “It was surreal to see the vastness of the city from that far up. It was simultaneously awesome and peaceful,” said senior Payton Parmett.

One of the views at the Top of the Rock, including the Empire State Building (left-center)
Emilia Galchutt

While the band did spend a fair amount of time just sightseeing, one of the most important parts of the trip is the performances. Band director Mr. Desens said, “They’re an opportunity to represent our community and for us to show people what we’ve been working on as part of our school year.”

The band was scheduled to perform twice: on the deck of the aircraft carrier at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, and on Liberty Island. The performance at the Intrepid was canceled due to poor weather, but the sunny day on Liberty Island made up for the missed experience. The band performed eleven songs, ranging from John Williams’ “Summon the Heroes” to Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit.”

Once the performance was finished, the band climbed onto the bus and began the trek back to Minnesota. From clamoring for artery-clogging junk food to spraying nearly everything with Febreze, the students’ camaraderie was evident.  While nobody returned with New York accents, the band members did come home with fond memories of their short time in the Big Apple.