2015-16 ExCEL Award Winners Announced

Photo courtesy of Minnesota State High School League

Pete Buesgens, Special to The Talon

Apple Valley High School is pleased to announce that Abigail Loe and Ethan Elumba have been selected as the 2015-16 Minnesota State High School League ExCEL Award Winners.  The ExCEL award — Excellence in Community, Education and Leadership — is a unique recognition program designed exclusively for Minnesota high school juniors who are active in school activities, who show leadership qualities, and who work voluntarily in their community.

Photo courtesy of AVHS
Photo courtesy of AVHS

Abigail Loe, daughter of Melissa and Brian Loe, is active in volleyball, the Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Marching Band and Broadway.  A member of the National Honor Society, Abigail is also active outside of school.  She has volunteered many hours at her church, at youth volleyball clinics, and at Armful of Love events.  Abigail also helped coordinate a neighborhood food drive.  According to one of her teachers, Abigail “consistently displays a scholarly voice in discussions” and “her positive interactions with peers make all around her comfortable.”

Photo courtesy of AVHS
Photo courtesy of AVHS

Ethan Elumba, son of Cynthia and Matthew Elumba, participates in swimming and diving, the Wind Ensemble, Marching Band, Jazz Singers, Men’s Ensemble and Valley Select Choral.  Ethan is also a member of the National Honor Society and Student Council at Apple Valley High School.  Outside of school, Ethan has earned 38 merit badges as an Eagle Scout.  He has also volunteered multiple hours with his church choir and with summer Bible School classes.  As one of his teachers expressed, “Students want to work with Ethan and be a part of of his group because he brings out the best in them.”

Both Abigail and Ethan are now entered in the statewide awards program selected by the MSHSL.  The final ExCEL Award recipients will be selected by an independent panel of judges from schools throughout Minnesota. Each recipient will be recognized on KSTC-TV (Channel 45) during the broadcasts of the 2016 winter tournaments.  Congratulations to Abigail and Ethan, their parents and their teachers on this achievement.