Dance Program Gives Young Performers a Chance to Shine

Student performers at Just a Glimpse

Samantha Brandt

Student performers at Just a Glimpse

Samantha Brandt, Arts & Entertainment Editor

A flash of light and movement erupt from the blank stage. A message is conveyed through a language that needs no words, relying only on motion.

From a large group conveying their joy and freedom to a single performer delivering a cryptic message, the AVHS dance programs aims to express it all. But the selection presented this fall wasn’t a full length performance – it was Just A Glimpse.

jag pic 1
Photo by Samantha Brandt

The one-night-only event aimed to showcase just a handful of the talents that have worked and developed so far this year, from Dance Tech 1 to the Advanced dance company. The variety doesn’t stop with the performers – the dance styles are also a wide assortment, including jazz, pop, and swing. In essence, the show is a look into the dance program as a whole.

What some may mistake as a preview for the Spring dance show is actually a portrait of the dance department’s work so far this year, with only one dance to be carried over to the next show. The program shies away from limiting the selection to a specific theme, preferring to set a loose idea to inspire and seeing what grows from it.

All kinds of people were brought together to collaborate. Some pieces are choreographed by students, while others are choreographed by Mrs. Kristin – this year, nearly half the dances were the invention of the former. Inspiration is drawn from many places, ranging from famous choreographers to art and photography. Not only does it give students a chance to exhibit what they can create, it also gives them a chance to try formal performing.

“For some of my students, the only time they may ever put on a formal performance is in the dance class,” said Kristin Blatzheim, head of the AVHS dance program. “I always think this is a really unique opportunity and experience.” She also pointed out that very few schools offer such an experience.

The pieces created within the classes have their own meaning – though it might vary from dancer to dancer. Two of the seniors had a few things to say about their piece Broken Angels.

”To me it’s about people who have fallen or failed, and have now recovered,” said Tony Ricci.

Meanwhile, Jasmine Dowland had a different view: “I think it’s about people finding themselves.” Despite their different perspectives, they both still find a deep meaning in their art.

jag image 1
Photo by Samantha Brandt

Apple Valley’s annual variety show also relies on the dance program to provide movement and talent on the stage. Dancers who will participate have already begun work for the February show.

For the time being, the dance classes will accept new students inspired by their show, and work on their next projects. They’ll turn their dedication to these shows and other projects, creating what promises to be another unforgettable performance.