Welcome to The Talon!

Join The Talon today!

Join The Talon today!

What is The Talon?

The Talon is the official student newspaper of Apple Valley High School. We are accredited by the Student News Organization and the Minnesota State High School League.

MSHSL Facebook

Who can join?

Anyone! We are open to all students in grades 9-12, regardless of experience. Writing an article is not like writing an essay or research paper, it is meant to be fun!

What could I write about?

The Talon publishes stories on a wide variety of topics that affect our school. Interested in politics? Report on the latest events in St. Paul and Washington. Have a passion for video games? Review a newly released game or console. We also cover high school sporting events and have a section dedicated to creative writing and poetry.

Student Newspapers Online
SNO is home to over 2,000 high school newspapers.

What is the time commitment?

We are very flexible with your busy schedule. We meet once a week on Tuesdays for 25 minutes before or after school. Usually, writers produce one story every 1-2 weeks. This adds up to approximately 30 to 40 minutes a week.

What can The Talon do for me?

Student journalism can be a highly valuable activity in the college admissions process. You will become a better researcher, writer, editor, and citizen through writing for The Talon. Most colleges have a student newspaper and offer scholarships when you write for them. We also offer the opportunity for leadership development.