Former Eagle Athletes Start Strong

Jeff Beshey, The Guillotine / CBS Sports

Gable Steveson (left) and Tre Jones were both standout athletes during their AVHS careers.

Apple Valley High School 2018 graduates, Tre Jones and Gable Steveson, made big names for themselves in their respective sports in high school and have picked up right where they left off in college.

Jones, a two-time state basketball champion and two-time Minnesota Gatorade Player of the Year, has stepped in the starting point guard role at Duke University. He joined the Blue Devils as part of a highly-touted recruiting class (decreed the “Fabbest Five” by Sports Illustrated) that also includes top recruits R.J. Barrett, Zion Williamson, and Cam Reddish.

Marco Garcia / AP
Jones drives to the basket against an Auburn defender during the Maui Invitational.

Duke is currently ranked third in the nation with a record of 5-1, with a major victory over fellow blue-blood Kentucky in the season opener. During this six game span, Jones has accumulated 9.5 points, 5.5 assists, and 3.3 rebounds per game. Duke will face off against Indiana on Tuesday, November 27, and begins the ACC schedule on January 5 vs. Clemson.

Steveson, one of the most accomplished wrestlers in Minnesota State High School League history, is now the heavyweight for the University of Minnesota. Steveson has quickly established himself as a collegiate wrestler, racking up an undefeated record in his first eight matches. This includes a title in the Daktronics Open, and wins in duals against Air Force, Oklahoma State, and South Dakota State.

Gopher Wrestling
Steveson grapples with Oklahoma State heavyweight Derek White.

Steveson is ranked as the country’s second best heavyweight by Intermat. The Gophers will travel to Las Vegas on November 30 for the Cliff Keen Invitational. A January 13 dual against Iowa is also sure to draw attention, as Steveson is slated to wrestle against current top-ranked heavyweight Sam Stoll.

Both Steveson and Jones figure to be in the hunt for national titles as college freshman: Steveson as an individual heavyweight and Jones as the floor general of the Blue Devils. The added bonus for those of us in Apple Valley? Steveson wrestles for our hometown university and the 2019 Final Four will be held at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.